Through Worship Arts, we at Advent strive to honor God and worship him through a variety of music, drama, dance, visuals and other art forms. We seek to offer opportunities for believers of all ages to use their gifts of music and art in service and to develop worship leadership which enhances and expands the worshipper’s awareness of the presence and grace of God.
Children are vitally important at Advent. From birth to 5th grade, our Children’s Music Ministry is an extension of Christian Education.
Children from birth to age 5 are invited to participate in our Kindermusik program, which is offered on a rotation. Beginning in K3, children can participate in graded children’s choirs. Here, children will study great hymns, anthems and songs; learn about church symbols and seasons; learn scripture through song; and learn about the art of good singing so that they can lift their voices in praise. Each choir sings in worship at different times throughout the year. The Rejoice and Faith Choirs also participate in a children’s musical each spring. Additionally, children in 3rd-5th grades can join our Gloria Ringers, where they will learn to read music through playing songs of faith on tone chimes. Throughout the year, children also have the opportunity to participate in freeze-frame dramas that enhance our worship services.
Kindermusik: Kindermusik is an international music and movement program for children from birth to 7 years old. For more information on the Kindermusik program, visit their website at www.kindermusik.com. If you would be interested in attending a Kindermusik class this year, please contact Elizabeth.
Chime Time: Tone Chimes add so much to the worship experience at Advent through their beauty and power. Chime Time (grades 3-5) offer an opportunity for children to learn to read music and to play in an ensemble, preparing them to play handbells and strengthening their music skills. Chime Time will rehearse on Sunday evenings from 5:30 - 6:00 in the Sanctuary.
Music Possible!: Music Possible! is a component of our Wednesday Night Children's programming, Mission Possible! During this fun-filled evening, children will experience worship arts combined with Bible study, crafts, and activities as they together experience that we are called to a Mission Possible! - that Jesus told us "...with God, all things are possible" (Matthew 19:26). Following dinner at 5:30, children are sent at 6:00 to begin with fun songs and skits as they learn stories of faith in fun, creative ways. At 6:15, younger children will begin their mission with music integrated with discipleship, while the older children will begin with engaging discipleship opportunities and end the evening with their time of Music Possible! More information and sign-ups are coming soon. For questions, contact Elizabeth Blair.
Worship Arts Camp: During this wonderful summer camp, children explore the many ways that worship arts enhance our worship life from visual arts to musical arts to many others as well. 2011 was our fourth year to offer this camp and over 40 children participated as we studied prayer and the ways that Worship Arts can help us express and experience prayer.
Worship Arts with Youth (the WAY) includes a variety of worship including music, drama, dance, and visual arts. Throughout the week, opportunities exist to develop and use God-given artistic gifts. These include:
- Crescendo (Youth Choir)
- C.R.O.S.S. (Youth Praise Band)
- Worship through Dance
Crescendo: Join us on Wednesday nights for Crescendo! We gather from 6:15 – 7:15 for a time filled with music, devotions, and fellowship. Crescendo is open to any youth, 6th grade and up who loves to sing and lead worship.
C.R.O.S.S.: C.R.O.S.S. is Advent’s resident, youth-led, live worship band. Made up of area high school students, C.R.O.S.S. is designed to meet the needs of Advent’s ever growing youth ministry. The band consists of electric guitars, bass, drums, and vocalists who lead worship at youth events and travel anywhere an opportunity to minister leads them from local venues to the South Carolina United Methodist Annual Conference. These young people exhibit a high standard of maturity and dedication and share a love for music and a heart to serve. For more information about C.R.O.S.S., contact Chad Turner at chad(at)advent-umc.org
Drama: Throughout the year, there are opportunities to enhance our worship through dramatic interpretation of scripture. If you are interested in participating in our drama ministry, please sign up here.
- Advent Ringers: A beginning handbell ensemble, is a perfect way to begin playing even if you have never held a handbell or you can’t read music. This group meets Sundays from 5:00 pm – 6:00 pm in the Music Suite and is open to anyone 6th grade through adult. Sign up here.
Worship through Dance: Gathering periodically for special liturgical, stick, or interpretive dance, our Worship through Dance team helps reinterpret the music and text with beauty and power. Sign up here if you would like to participate!
Our worship life is enhanced weekly by the gifts and talents offered through the arts. From music ministry which offers special music and helps us all lift our voices in praise, to handbells, to drama, to instrumental offerings, our worship life is enriched by our Worship Arts with Adults.
Adult Choirs: The Adult Choirs are comprised of adult men and women who love to sing God’s praises. The Son-Rise Singers lead at the 8:30 a.m. service while the Chancel Choir leads worship at the 11:15 a.m. service. Together they present several major musical services each year. The adult choirs rehearse together on Wednesday evenings at 7:30 in the Music Suite. While always working toward excellence, this is a volunteer choir and new members are welcome at any time! Please contact Elizabeth Blair if you are interested in joining us or for more information.
- reNew Worship Band: The reNew Worship Band leads worship every Sunday morning during the contemporary service at 9:55 a.m. In addition to the 9:55 service, reNew also ministers periodically at Advent events throughout the year. Their sound is solid, contemporary, and worshipful and provides the contemporary setting for the 9:55 service. Instruments range from drums and djembe to acoustic and electric guitars to vocalists and keyboards. The reNew repertoire is ever-expanding as music from today’s best Christian artists is learned and executed with passion every week. For more information about reNew, contact Chad Turner.
- Smooth Stones: This adult contemporary ensemble is made up of instrumentalists and singers who especially love to praise God and lead worship using more contemporary instruments and music, but are unable to rehearse or lead worship on a weekly basis. Smooth Stones lead periodically in all three worship services. For more information about Smooth Stones, contact Elizabeth Blair.
Drama: Throughout the year, there are opportunities to enhance our worship through dramatic interpretation of scripture. If you are interested in participating in our drama ministry, please contact Elizabeth Blair.
- Celebration Ringers: Over the years we have been blessed with the addition of a four-octave set of English Handbells. The Celebration Ringers is Advent's advanced handbell ensemble, typically playing level 4 or 5 music. This group participates in a winter weekend handbell festival and plays frequently in worship as well as playing in the community and special Advent events. Our adult hand bell ensemble, led by Jane Smith, rehearses on Sunday evenings from 6:15 pm – 7:30 pm in the Music Suite. If you find that handbell music is a particular blessing to you, contact Elizabeth Blair or Jane Smith.
- Advent Ringers: A beginning handbell ensemble, the Advent Ringers, is a perfect way to begin playing even if you have never held a handbell or you can’t read music. This group meets Sundays from 5:00 pm – 6:00 pm in the Music Suite and is open to anyone 6th grade through adult.
Instrumentals: We use a variety of instruments in worship. If you play an instrument and would like to be a part of our instrumental music ministry as the opportunity arises, please contact Elizabeth Blair.
- Adventures in Brass: In addition to instruments playing along with anthems and/or hymns, the Adventures in Brass is Advent's resident brass ensemble. They offer their gifts to enhance anthems, offer special music, and present special concerts at Advent. This group rehearses Sunday evenings from 7:30-8:30. Contact Elizabeth Blair for more information.
The media ministry at Advent is responsible for the imagery, art, photography, and computer graphics seen weekly. The team plans and designs visual aspects of the 9:55 contemporary service each Sunday as well as videography, photography, artwork, and website design as the need arises. Our technicians range from the highly skilled to the eager to learn. All are welcome and if you have an artistic flare, Advent’s Media Ministry is a great place to connect. Contact Chad Turner for more information.